Best new shows on Netflix to watch anywhere
59% of Netflix streamers watch on the go!
If you’re a lover of all the good things in life, you will probably be a lover of Netflix. Netflix is so great you can watch it on the TV, on your computer or even on your phone or tablet. Research even shows that around 8% of Australians even watch Netflix when going to a public bathroom!
Not only is it the perfect way to make your time on the loo that much more enjoyable, it’s a great way to pass time in the evening, with friends, family or a significant other, but a dilemma does arise. How to choose which show to watch? Trying to decide on what movie to put on generally take longer actually watching the movie. But don’t worry we’ve done the research for you and put together a list of the best shows on Netflix. So, next time you go to relax with Netflix, you’ll be able to decide on what to watch in no time.
- Ozark – This is a great series if you love sitting on the edge of your seat. It’s a crime drama that tells the story of a money launderer, played by Jason Bateman, who must move to Chicago with his wife, played by Laura Linney. They are trying to raise $8 million in 3 months, otherwise the whole family will be killed. It’s incredibly captivating, and it’s likely to encourage some classic binge watching. The show is well acted and well written, and that’s why it makes our list of best Netflix shows
- Peaky Blinders – This is a British made television show and is most comparable to the US show called Boardwalk Empire. It follows a gangster family in Birmingham, England in 1919, just after the first world war. It’s based on the Romani/Irish Peaky Blinders gang and boss Tommy Shelby, where many of the gang members are suffering from PTSD after the war. The iconic symbol of the gang is their hats called ‘blinders’ where they sew razors into the brim. The gang and gang leader become the target of the government, who want to disband them.
- Stranger Things – It’s about a boy called Will who is captured by a mystical creature and taken to another world. His mother, played by Winona Ryder, gets a sheriff on board to investigate his disappearance. In the meantime, Will’s friends try to take matters into their own hands as well, and eventually become friends with an Alien-like girl. The second season looks at how the characters deal with returning to normality and the consequences that remain from the first season.
- Breaking Bad – Arguably one of the best series ever made, it’s one of the most popular Netflix shows. It’s about a high school chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with terminal cancer, and turns to manufacturing methamphetamine (or ice) in order to provide for his family’s future. He can hardly make ends meet with his teacher salary, and on top of it all, his wife is about to give birth, and his teenage son is battling with cerebral palsy, and when he finds out he has cancer, he realises he must do something. He then turns his RV into a moving meth lab and summons the help a young ice enthusiast… To find out the rest you’ll have to watch it yourself.
- Narcos – This is the true story of Colombia’s infamous drug lord, Pablo Escobar. It details the rise of the Colombian cocaine trade and tells real-life stories of the drug cartels in the 80s, as well as the action taken by law enforcement, to win the war on drugs. If you love crime dramas, as well as having a keen interest in history, this will be one of the best Netflix shows for you.
- Bojack Horseman – This is a series that will catch you by surprise. It’s funny, but at the same time quite heartbreaking. It’s about Bojack Horseman who used to be the successful star of a TV show, called Horsin’ Around, in the 90’s, but since it was cancelled everything went downhill. 18 years later, he is trying to get his life back on track. It’s animated, however not a show for kids, with plenty of reference to sex, drugs and alcohol, it makes our list of the best Netflix shows as it’s good for getting the mind thinking.
- Mad Men – Not only is this show one of the best Netflix shows, it’s arguably one of the best shows ever created. It is incredibly well written, has excellent acting and it is incredibly captivating. The series is set in the 1960’s in the Sterling Cooper advertising agency, and follows New Yorker, Don Draper, who tries to stay on top of the prestigious advertising world of Madison Avenue.
- Orange is the New Black – It’s a Netflix original series that follows the lives of female inmates in a US prison. It tells you the stories behind the inmates and how they ended up getting there, because of mistakes or bad decisions they made, which could be made by anyone. It’s a series that makes you understand other people’s lives, and teaches you not to judge because everyone has a story to tell. The series is funny, moving, realistic and very binge worthy.
- The Office – The UK and the US Office are both comedy classics. The UK comedy series was led by Ricky Gervais, and the US by Steve Carrell. The comedy depicts the everyday characters who are meant to reflect the type of people you come across in every office. It’s one of the funniest and best tv shows on Netflix.
- Black Mirror – This is a captivating British series that makes a strong statement about the current and future era of technology. It’s only a very short series, which includes short stand-alone dramas that each feature a cast of unique characters that touch upon dark and satirical themes. We think it’s one of the best shows on Netflix because it’s different than you average TV show.
- Shameless – This one makes our best Netflix shows list as it’s a series that has been long running and shows what it’s like to be poor living in America. It follows an American family, living below the poverty line and struggling to make ends meet. The family struggles with problems such as alcoholism, drug abuse, mental illness, bad decision-making and bad luck. The family only have each other to rely on, so they support each other through their struggle to break the poverty cycle they are stuck in.
- The Crown – This is one of the best Netflix shows, that presents the first few years of Queen Elizabeth II in her reign. It shows Winston Churchill as her mentor, and how he supported her during the historical events that were unfolding around her. It also explores the relationship between Elizabeth and her husband Phillip. It shows the political rivalries that she faced throughout the beginning of her reign and the events that shaped the end of the 20th Anyone who loves a periodic drama, this post-WWII series will not disappoint.
- Bloodline – Like Ozark, and possibly the inspiration for the series, it is one of the best shows on Netflix. It is an incredibly engrossing and addictive series that focuses on a close family and the dark side hiding below the surface. Their past contains secrets that they want to keep hidden, but paranoia builds up and forces the, previously close, family apart. Incredibly captivating, and a must watch Netflix show.
- Sons of Anarchy – It’s a crime drama set in the US and follows an outlaw motorcycle club that operates in California. It follows a single father called Jax Teller whose loyalty becomes tested as the club becomes increasingly lawless. The motorcycle club protects the town from drug dealers, but at the same time it begins a lucrative arm dealing business. It premiered in 2008 and now has 7 seasons that you can watch on Netflix. There is so much action, and plenty going on in this long series which is why we think it is one of the best Netflix shows.
- Master of None – This series also makes our list of the best shows on Netflix. It’s funny but also focuses on issues such as sex and race. Its directed by Aziz Ansari, and is loosely based on some of his real-life experiences. It follows a New York actor who is struggling to find himself and work out what he really wants out of life. It reflects issues around what it’s like to be young, single and living in the city.
- Making a murderer – The is a crime documentary series that tells the story of Steven Avery who has spent almost 20 years in prison for a crime he did not commit. Shortly after he is released from Prison, he is (potentially wrongly) accused of murdering a 25-year old photographer and sentenced to life in prison. The series was filmed over 10 years and is an incredibly captivating real-life thriller, and is why we think it’s one of the best Netflix shows.
- Arrested Development – It’s one of the funniest Netflix series. It is an American sitcom that follows the Bluth family who used to be wealthy and are now broke and dysfunctional. The main character Michael Bluth must run the family real estate business after his father is suddenly sent to prison for committing a white-collar crime. The show is comical as the father tries to accommodate the needs of his family and simultaneously be a good role model for his teenage son.
- Jessica Jones – If you like superhero movies, this is one of the best Netflix shows for you. Jessica Jones is a darker Marvel character, whose career as a superhero is cut short due to a tragedy. So, what she does instead, is set up a detective agency in New York, which handles cases for people with special abilities. Since she suffers from PSTD, she is more focused on getting through the day, rather than saving the world. It’s a superhero story but not one for kids.
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt – This series directed by Tina Fey, is about a woman, Kimmy Schmidt, who gets rescued from being in a cult for 15 years. She decides to go to New York, where she experiences everyday life and is amazed by everything. She moves into an apartment with a guy called Titus where the pair help each other out. He helps her with everyday life and she gives him the inspiration to never give up. If you’re looking for a heart-warming and funny series, this is one of the best Netflix shows for you.
- Suits – Based in New York, this show looks at the crazy world of corporate law. In need of an associate, big time lawyer, Harvey Specter, hires the only guy who managed to impress him, college dropout Mike Ross. It turns out that Mike never actually went to law school and doesn’t have a licence to practice. This show has a great mix of drama, humour, love, and tragedy and is basically Game of Thrones but in Tom Ford suits with all the plotting, back stabbing, and hostile takeovers. Definitely binge worthy and not one to miss!
So, there you go – our picks for the 20 best tv shows on Netflix. If you didn’t know what to watch before, this list should give you a starting point. Costing between $9.99 and $17.99 and giving you the option to add 3 additional members to use your account, it’s not a bad deal at all. As well as being able to watch the numerous different series, varying in genre and style, you have access to documentaries and plenty of films. Not to mention the option to view many Netflix original productions, which allow you to get an alternative perspective to that of the Hollywood made productions.
If you’re impressed with our list of the best Netflix shows, why not watch them for yourselves. Go and find out exactly what we are all raving about when it comes to the above shows, and you’ll surely be entertained.
Like what you're reading?
Read more like it